Petzl Grigri 2 Belay Device
Grigri 2 Belay Device is an assisted braking system designed to catch and hold a climber in case of a fall. The updated design is 20% lighter and 25% smaller than the original Grigri, and the Grigri 2 has been updated to handle smaller diameter ropes as well. Great for working routes, the Grigri 2 works well belaying a lead climber or on top-rope ascents. Made with a self-braking system, this auto-braking device provides a safety backup, ideal for single rope ascents. Petzl's Grigri 2 has revolutionized belaying techniques on both climbing walls and on rock faces by significantly reducing the chances for human error in the belay process. The ergonomic design allows for smooth, controlled lowers, great for rappelling on single ropes and perfect for setting and cleaning routes. The Petzl Grigri 2 Belay Device is designed to take some of the risk out of climbing, but remember to always lock off.
Petzl Grigri 2 Belay Device Key Features
- Belay technique identical to classic belay systems: both hands on the rope. A fall is stopped by tightening the hand on the free end of the rope.
- The GRIGRI 2 has a new design that allows excellent control during the descent. One hand holds the rope and the other uses the handle to unlock the cam. The patented handle design allows a very gradual release of the rope. In combination with the strong braking action of the cam, it gives a great feeling of control when lowering a partner or rappelling.
- The construction includes a stainless steel friction plate and cam to ensure a long life for the product
- Diagrams for rope installation engraved on belay device (interior and exterior)
- Assisted braking capability: during fall arrest, the belayer holds the free end of the rope, the cam pivots and pinches the rope, increasing the braking action until the rope stops sliding.
- The GRIGRI 2 is compact and ultra-light at 185 g (25 % smaller and 20 % lighter than the GRIGRI)
- For 8.9 to 11 mm single ropes (ideal at 9.4 to 10.3 mm)